Anyways, this was to be the city that surprised us with its awesomeness and we didn't want to leave. A 2 day stopover turned into a 4 day sojourn when we were handed a flyer for a local Bolivian Bon Jovi cover band. We added another day to our stay and booked in for the Silver mines tour the following morning. I had heard about the tour a few times and everyone had recommended the tour run by this particular hostel. I was reassured that the dark, crawling part was limited to a couple minutes and so I was on board. Amit was keen regardless. He's the daredevil!
Breakfast was awesome! Freshly brewed coffee, scrambled eggs, toast and fruit. Winner, winner, chicken dinner. When the tour dudes called our names, I felt sick. I've never thought of myself as claustrophobic but there I was freaking out! We had to put on some over-sized jumpsuits and ridiculous torch helmets and then hit the markets to pick up the "goods" for the miners. We bought them 2L bottles of soft drink, bags of coca leaves and dynamite. Plus got a whiff of the 90% proof alcohol that they sometimes drink. Hectic.
So back to me. My friendly guide has been replaced by new younger but much less sociable guide. He gestures for me to follow him out and I'm so glad to be moving. Sitting hunched over in a tiny tunnel in the dark was seriously starting to freak me out. I follow the new dude for about 10 minutes back to the devil/cave/museum place. He grunts for me to wait outside. He goes inside and leaves me alone for about a minute. Panic rising. He comes back with a rifle. Yes. A rifle. He hands it to me and in a split second I suspect that I'm going to carry the gun to the spot where he will shoot me and dump my body. Panic reaching crescendo. He then laughs and takes it back. I follow him out and can't remember whether we're walking the way we came, towards the clean, fresh outside air. I slip and grab onto a electricity cable for balance. Miraculously I am not electrocuted. I see a tiny sliver of light in the distance and want to weep for joy. When I get outside I am tempted to kiss the ground, reminiscent of previous celebrations following the conclusion of Duke of Ed hikes in high school. I wait anxiously for Amit to come back out and watch the bus driver and creepy guide play with what turned out to be a broken old rifle. Still. When the rest of the tour group resurface they are coughing and spluttering and covered in soot. Following recovery, we got to throw around a stick of lit dynamite and then watch while it was raced over a hill by a guide. The explosion was tres cool. The moral of the story kids: don't take rifles from strangers in dark Bolivian mines.
The next day we made friends with some nice people in our hostel and hit up the nicest restaurant in town before heading over to Bon Jovi cover band venue. We were thrilled to learn that the opening act was actually an Aerosmith cover band. Don't wanna miss a thing and Jaded were highlights. When the Bon Jovi act came on it was 3am and we had to leave during Bed of Roses which we proceeded to belt out whilst walking the streets of Potosi. Quick trip to late night fries stall and our night was a success. Late finish resulted in late start the next day and just one more night in this surprisingly cool town. We walked to the bus station to book our tickets to Uyuni, requiring a Resident Evil-esque dodging of rabid dogs. Thus ends the tale of the Potosi silver mines.
Next up - the salt flats and beautiful landscapes of southern Bolivia
No comments:
Post a Comment